National Eisteddfod Science and Technology Pavilion. 3 – 11 August Roald Dahl Plass Cardiff CF10 4PZ
- Support on any day for as much time as you can spare. Welsh speakers not essential for the stand.
- Training provided on the day
- The main objective of this pavilion is to showcase science and STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) to people from all ages.
- We hope to inspire children and youngsters to consider a career in STEM and to increase the take-up of STEM subjects – through the medium of Welsh if they wish
Greenpower Goblins need your help!
STEM Ambassadors from any part of Wales are eagerly sought by Primary Schools to assist with next years' projects.
Pupils will be working in teams to build and race electric kit cars:
If you can offer a role as a mentor please get in touch with Ciara Doyle Wales Regional Officer for the Greenpower Trust
'Creative Pathways' High School career fair. Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama 20 November (10am to 2:30pm).
This is the third year of Careers Wales event. Both previous years have been really successful with Year 10, 11 and 6th Form pupils from schools in Cardiff, Vale of Glamorgan, Bridgend, RCT and Merthyr attending. This year we are opening it up to schools in Caerphilly and Newport too.
This year we have a digital theme with a zone specifically for creative digital employers. Click here for film of 2016 event at Wales Millennium Centre. They hope Ambassadors who work in the creative sector will be interested in attending.
You'll get the opportunity to indicate what type of engagement you'd like your Ambassadors to be involved in (class talks, pupil visits, assembly talks, career fairs etc) and what geographical area you'd like to cover. Teachers at the schools will indicate that they'd like to engage with your company; people doing my job role will get the notification and check with you if you'd like to be involved.
'Inspire the world with science'
ITV are looking for scientists and researchers to tell us what they do and why it's important for a new section in our magazine (Here is our current issue – http://www.itvscience.com/magazine-issue-1-may-2018/)
If you or anyone you know would like to be featured in the 10 seconds of Fame section (or even a larger interview if your research would be compelling to readers) please contact Cameron Costigan with a brief under 100 words, and a photo too:)
DVLA Code Challenge 2018
The 2018 competition is now launched across Wales! Fabulous prizes on offer for schools.
Please spread the news to any school contacts (Primary and Secondary). You may be parent or have links with local schools. The website address is the same as last year: http://dvlacodechallenge.dvla.gov.uk
It holds all the information schools need to register for the competition, how to enter and the themes, there is also a downloadable A5 Flyer!
This year both Primary and Secondary schools are eligible: there will be two competitions running side by side – one for the 7-11 year olds and the other for the 11-14 year old.
All themes are open to all age groups, the only difference is, that the 7-11 year olds can only use SCRATCH (same as last year), but the 11-14 year olds may choose any language they wish.
Closing date for entries is midnight on 12 October 2018
Dragons Den Panel; workshops; exhibits; Q & A panel. Your Green Future Powys Tuesday 25th or Wednesday 26th September. Cefn Lea Park, Newtown SY16 4AJ
STEM Ambassadors are needed for Dragons Den Panel; workshops; exhibits; Q & A panel.
Either day and any activity are optional – any STEM background is welcome. You do not have to be an environmental scientist
Each event brings together over 250 students and 50 business professionals who work together in a series of interactive workshops, using STEM knowledge and skills in developing practical solutions to a range of sustainability-related issues.
For details please see http://www.yourgreenfuture.org.uk/how-it-works/
The Royal Society of Biology Outreach and Engagement Awards will be closing for applications in under a month.
The Awards aim to reward outreach work carried out by researchers who inform, enthuse and engage with different audiences. The Awards are open to scientists working in any sector of UK biosciences, from universities, institutes or industry. There are two award categories each with a cash prize: New Researcher (£750) and Established Researcher (£1500).
Applications close on 29th June. For more information and to apply, please visit the Society's website: http://www.rsb.org.uk/outreach-awards
Bring your badge to work- get involved
Our STEM Ambassadors bring your badge to work campaign is officially underway and we'd like you to get involved.
There are three £50 Amazon vouchers up for grabs and we're looking forward to seeing some really innovative posts!
Save a Life: Learn CPR
On Tuesday 16 October 2018, to mark the World-Wide Restart a Heart Day, they will be coordinating the training of thousands of students across secondary schools in Wales. Last year, with the help of secondary schools, staff and volunteers, we were able to train more than 10,500 students in 53 schools across Wales.
If someone suffers a cardiac arrest, their chances of survival double if it happens in front of a bystander who immediately starts CPR before our arrival.
Sign up to register your school or to register as a volunteer for the day and help us to train even more students in this lifesaving skill in 2018!
Cardiff: National Eisteddfod Science and Technology Pavilion. 3-11 August. Roald Dahl Plass, Cardiff CF10 4PZ
Support on any day for as much time as you can spare. Welsh speakers not essential for the stand.
- Training provided on the day
- The main objective of this pavilion is to showcase science and STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) to people from all ages. We hope to inspire children and youngsters to consider a career in STEM and to increase the take-up of STEM subjects – through the medium of Welsh if they desire.
Pontyclun Theme Park Science. Pontyclun Primary CF72 9EG
Teacher Rhian Morgan has been working with pupils on design for Theme Park rides
- She would like to move on to the Physics and Forces involved in Theme Parks: roller coasters, carousels, etc
- Pupils are Yr 6 (9- 10 yrs old) 60 pupils in the year group.
- A talk or activity would be excellent
Caerphilly: Enterprise STEM week 2-6 July. Derwendeg Primary, Hengoed CF82 7HP
Teacher Nicola Pakham is organising a STEM Enterprise Week.
- She is seeking STEM Ambassadors from a variety of backgrounds to talk about their work
- Sessions would be 30 mins – 50 mins
- Nicola is also interested in female role models in the workplace
Cardiff STEAM week at Roath Park Primary 9 – 13 July (any day). Roath Park Primary School CF24 4BB
Teacher Sandi Burnett is running activities during the week combining STEM with Arts and Creativity together
- She is hoping to inspire pupils with ideas brining Art in Maths, Creative themes in Science (molecule shapes, ice crystals – all ideas would be welcome)
- Sandi is happy to explore all options
Barry: Science Council support & KS2 sessions. Gladstone Primary School CF62 8NA
Teacher Stefan Hicks is seeking STEM Ambassador support for KS2. The school would welcome either:
- A Discussion with Science Council
- Workshop activities for KS2
30 pupils per class and 2 classes in each year group
Dates can be set to suit your availability
Cardiff: Site visits to local places. St Peters Primary, Roath CF24 3SP
STEM sessions / site visits. Teacher Phil Ryan is very keen to build on recent visits by STEM Ambassadors and to local industries.
- Flexible on dates to suit Ambassadors.
- Phil would like to hear from any STEM Ambassador or group of Ambassadors who could offer a session or company visit.
- Pupils are mainly Year 4.
Cardiff: Science for Year 5. Lansdowne Primary, Canton CF5 1JY
Teacher Karl Redding is keen to host a STEM Ambassador session.
- Topics can be anything from Space – Nature – Human Body – Engineering and the World around us.
- The session / workshop can be from 1 hour to half day as suits your session
Cardiff: Marshfield Girl Guide Session. Marshfield Village Hall CF3 2UD
Guide Leader Ruth is seeking STEM Ambassador visits for the Autumn term.
- Sessions can be on any topic
- An interactive or practical element is welcomed
- 22 guides attend each week, sessions last about 1 – 1 ½ hrs
Bridgend Mock Interviews
STEM Ambassadors would be valued as interviewers in these schools. If you can assist please copy me into a message to Hannah Stephens
- Coleg Cymunedol Y Dderwen (Bridgend) 2nd, 3rd & 4th July
- Cowbridge Comprehensive 9th, 10th & 11th July
- Porthcawl Comprehensive 16th & 17th July
Rhondda Cynon Taf: Ecology workshop support. Yr 9 & 10. Ysgol Rhydywaun CF44 9ES
Teacher Leana Stansfield is planning to run workshops on ecology.
- These may include pond dipping, lichen survey, soil or sampling using quadrats
- Initially Leana and her colleagues would like a discussion with STEM Ambassadors on the content of the session
- Further assistance is optional
Merthyr Tydfil: STEM Week date to be confirmed late June. Pantysgallog Primary School, Dowlais, CF48 2AD
Teacher Craig Lynch will be pleased to hear from STEM Ambassadors who can offer a session during Science Week.
- Craig would be pleased for all offers of support – any topic would be welcome Interactive or demonstrations of particular interest
Porth: Careers events Porth School 16 & 18 July
Rhian Thomas is organising a 2 day careers event with the school, If you help with either day I shall forward your offer: email@example.com
Employer fair Monday 16 July 9.45am – 1.45pm. Porth County School CF39 0BS
6 employers required to deliver a presentation to 3 different groups of pupils about their organization /sector (the skills/qualifications required, different job roles, apprenticeships etc).
- Pupils will be split into 6 groups and each group will carousel around 3 different employers.
- Each session will be 40 mins long
Mock Interviews Wednesday 18 July
Interview questions will be supplied for STEM Ambassadors
Rhondda: Mock Interviews Coleg Y Cymoedd Wednesday 18 July 8.45am – 1.45pm. Coleg Y Cymoedd CF40 2TQ
- Interviews to be conducted with 16 yrs old students
- Information on how to conduct a Mock Interview is available
Merthyr Tydfil: Microbes and Food. Cyfarthfa Primary School CF47 8RE
Teacher Rich Price is seeking an Ambassador to cover the topic 'Food Glorious Food'
- He would particularly like a session on Microbes and Bacteria
- Any date can be selected Summer Term.
- Offers forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org
Merthyr Tydfil: Trelewis Science sessions. Trelewis Primary CF46 6AH
The school was not able to run a Science Week in March, and don't want the pupils to miss the experience
- Teacher Jonathan Keefe is seeking any STEM topic sessions.
- You can offer for any age groups 5yrs – 10 yrs old, and all topics will be accepted.
- Pupils are studying Space, Electricity, Light, Sound, Environment, Habitat, Human Body, Technology, Engineering topics, and many others
Bargoed: STEM – French. Lewis Boys School, Pengam CF81 8LJ
Ffion McCarthy wishes to organise a session for year 8 boys about the importance of learning French with STEM subjects.
- They aim raise pupils awareness of the importance of language learning and working in a STEM environment
- This is an all boys secondary school based in Pengam
Computer Science applications. Lewis School Pengam, Bargoed CF81 8LJ
Teacher David Eyles is very keen to host STEM Ambassadors talks or workshop on Computer Science. He is flexible on dates.
- A large number of pupils are keen on gaming, programming and general application in careers.
- Please contact if you can support.
Cardiff. Science Cafe: talks or general attendance at Cardiff evening meetings
Please contact Sri to offer a talk or just turn up at the next meeting!
Sri Ponnusamy welcomes STEM Ambassadors to give a short talk or just to attend in support at Science Cafes Cardiff.
Meeting at Porters Bar Bute Terrace CF10 2FE, for a social gathering first Tuesday evening of each month. For the price of a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, anyone can come to explore the latest ideas in science and technology.
Newport: STEM Visits Crindau Primary School. Crindau Primary NP20 5ND
Teacher Medi James and colleagues were delighted with the Summer Term STEM Ambassador visits
- The school would love to host STEM Ambassadors in the Autumn Term
- All topics are welcome and the dates can be arranged to suit your schedule
Rhymney: Habitats for KS1 any dates Summer Term. Idris Davies School, Abertysswg, NP22 5XF
Teacher Danielle Self is seeking STEM Ambassadors who could offer a session on Habitats (plant or animal) for KS 1 pupils.
- Pupils are 4yrs – 6yrs old
- Any dates this term
Newport: Ditch the Dirt project. Clytha Primary School NP20 4JT
Teacher Jade Jones and her KS2 pupils are starting the new STEM Challenge on Clean Water.
- The project covers the importance and technology behind filtration, sieving and how dirty water can be made clean
- They would value a STEM Ambassador to visit the project and provide some advice / insight
Newport. Rhiwderin Brownie group Science / Engineering session. Any Wednesday 5.30pm – 6.30pm.
Pack leader Sam is seeking STEM Ambassadors (particularly female) for a visit to their group. They would love to hear your career story.
- If you can bring something interesting for them – a demo or activity that would be great.
- I will forward offers to Sam.
Caldicot: STEM workshops. Ysgol Y Ffin, Caldicot NP26 4NQ
STEM Ambassadors are always welcome to offer visits / after school Club sessions at the school
- This is a Welsh Medium School where Welsh is preferred for KS1 but English or Welsh welcome for KS2
- The school will also be hosting a family Saturday event – details to follow – STEM Ambassadors welcomed
Caerphilly: After school or lunchtime Club visit (Welsh medium). Ysgol Gymraeg Trelyn NP12 3ST
Liz Owen is eager to host STEM Ambassadors. KS2 pupils are covering topics on Playing with Physics (yrs 3/4) and Energy Light & Sound (yrs5/6)
- If you can offer a one hour session 3.30 -4.30 or a lunchtime visit
- Any dates next term will be great.
Swansea: STEM Ambassador sessions / Club visit. Cadle Primary School Fforest Ffach SA5 5DU
Science Coordinator Jamie Davies is seeking STEM Ambassador Sessions for his pupils
- The school is in a deprived area and pupils lack interesting science experience outside their school curriculum
- Jamie would welcome STEM Club visits or a session of your choice at any time during the term.
Swansea: Skills Weeks 6 – 13 July. Inspiring Girls in STEM talk. Pentrehafod School, Swansea SA1 2NN
Teacher Rebecca Cassels would appreciate STEM Ambassador support for either:
- Skills week (day of choice). A STEM Ambassador session for a whole year group (100 pupils) talk or presentation.
- Skills week – 5 sessions for a class of students practical activity
- A discussion / session for Yr 8 girls disengaged with STEM.
Llanelli Schools Mock Interviews
STEM Ambassadors are very welcome as Interviewers at these schools. Your role will be to review the pupil's CV and provide feedback on Interview Skills. Mock Interview questions will be provided.
- 4th and 5th of July (9am-3pm) Coedcae School SA15 1LJ
- 5th and 6th of July (9am-3pm) Bryngwyn
- 9th and 10th of July St John Lloyd (9am-3.30pm)
My contact is Aled Williams at Careers Wales West
Cardigan: Cluster STEM event Monday 9 July. Theatr Mwldan SA43 1JY
Lee Burrows Leader of Learning at ERW is organizing a STEM day for teachers and school students.
- Activities will include a series of workshops
- Lee is seeking a STEM Ambassador (s) who could offer an introductory talk on your STEM Ambassador role followed by any STEM workshop of your choice
- Your workshop would run several times during the day
Please copy me into a message to Lee at email@example.com
Gowerton: Mock Interviews 19 or 20 June. Gowerton School SA4 3DL
STEM Ambassadors will interview pupils giving feedback on CVs and interview skills
- Any hours you can spare from 9am – 3pm
- Sample questions and guidance available
Gower: STEM Club visit any Wednesday Summer / Autumn Term. Pennard Primary SA3 2AD
Calling all Scientists and Engineers! Pennard Primary are eager to host STEM Ambassadors at the lunchtime Club
- Years 3 – 6 attend (6-10 years old)
- Demonstrations or hands on activities very welcome
Swansea: STEM – FRENCH – SPANISH. Dylan Thomas School, Sketty SA3 0FR
Teacher Lucy Griffin is seeking a STEM Ambassador with French or Spanish language skill.
- Yr 7 pupils study Spanish with French introduced in Yr 8
- The session would be focussed on Careers but with Maths/ Science/ Engineering /Tech with modern foreign languages.
- Chances to use language skills not only abroad but also in Wales
- Many of her students are from a quite insular background, low socio-economic status, many with lower literacy skills than the national average.
- Ideally 4 sessions with a lunch break between sessions
This would be a great opportunity for these pupils as they have less contact to STEM professionals.
Newtown: Your Green Future Powys. Tuesday 25th and Wednesday 26th September 2018. Cefn Lea Conference Centre and Holiday Park SY16 4AJ
STEM Ambassador support has been requested as:
- Dragons Den panel
Your Green Future events are green careers events where students can find out about the range of employment opportunities available within the green economy locally and the training pathways towards these careers.
Each event brings together over 250 students and 50 business professionals who work together in a series of interactive workshops, using STEM knowledge and skills in developing practical solutions to a range of sustainability-related issues. Students also attend a career pathways exhibition where they interact with employers and education providers to explore the diverse range of employment opportunities available within the 'green economy' locally and the training paths available to support them on this journey.
For details on each of the workshops, please see http://www.yourgreenfuture.org.uk/how-it-works/
Brecon Primary science sessions. Dates flexible. Llangors Primary LD3 7UB
Teacher Meg is eager to host STEM Ambassadors for any of these topics:
- Rainforests year 3
- Sea and Marine Life – year 4
- Sustainability – year 5
Much appreciate volunteers in this small rural school.
Crickhowell: STEM sessions. Llangynidr Primary School NP8 1LU
Teacher Claire Watson is seeking an Ambassador to present workshop or talk on any STEM topic. Interactive interesting topics welcome
Brockweir Soapbox Derby. Autumn 2018 STEM Ambassador support / judges roles
Community groups and pupils will be their home built racing cars in a 'Design a Sustainable Kart' race
- The winning team will have to demonstrate how their Kart is eco friendly.
- Teams will have to think through Sustainability demonstrating how the lifecycle of the Kart meets with cyclical design.
- An award for the most Sustainable Kart will be given at the end of the race.
- The next race date will be in the autumn of 2018.
Bangor STEM at St Gerards Primary any dates after half term. St Gerards Primary LL57 2EL
Teacher Tamzin Pritchard is seeking STEM Ambassadors to visit the pupils either at the school or at their STEM Club. Tamzin has been delighted with the impact of previous STEM Ambassador visits.
Holywell STEM sessions – all dates available this term. Ysgol Maes Y Felin, Flintshire CH8 7EN
Teacher Tamsin is seeking sessions for Foundation, Yr 1 / Yr 2 pupils
- Next term they are inspiring pupils with 'Reach for the Stars' which is to raise aspirations and goals
- All STEM topics would be welcome and some interactive elements will be important
Llandudno Code Club Support (or STEM session in general). Ysgol Bodafon LL30 3BA
The school are seeking a Code Club supporter or a session on STEM in general. If you can help I shall place you in contact with Adam Davies firstname.lastname@example.org
Oswestry: STEM Ambassador Careers Talk sessions June 29. The Marches School SY11 2AR
Meg Murphy is seeking STEM Ambassadors to deliver a 45 minute careers talk for 250 Year 10 pupils
- Time of session: 8.45am – 9.30pm
- All STEM backgrounds are welcomed!