Greenpower Goblins need your help!
- STEM Ambassadors from any part of Wales are eagerly sought by Primary Schools to assist with next years’ projects.
- Pupils will be working in teams to build and race electric kit cars: https://www.greenpower.co.uk/volunteering
- If you can offer a role as a mentor please get in touch. Ciara Doyle Wales Regional Officer for the Greenpower Trust would love to hear from you
Cardiff Centre for the Deaf: STEM sessions of choice
163 Newport Rd,
Event coordinator Tracey Bancroft is keen to offer their visiting pupils stimulating STEM sessions
2 requests are made:
- A Saturday activity for Primary Pupils 12pm – 2pm. Last Saturday each month with parents in support ~ 20 pupils
- A Thursday evening activity 6pm – 8pm. 11yrs – 21 yrs pupils
A professional ‘interpreter’ will be present to sign to the pupils when the STEM Ambassador is visiting
Pupils visit from across the whole South Wales region, they are enthusiastic pupils that often need extra support while at school.
Encouraging uptake at A level: STEM inspiration for girls
- Paul Doyle is the physics teacher in Stanwell school.
- He is seeking female Ambassadors to speak about women working in STEM careers Paul has very able female students in a range of year groups and was hoping to encourage the uptake of physics and science in general at a level and beyond.
- Paul can negotiate dates for visits
Cardiff: Science for Year 5
- Teacher Karl Redding is keen to host a STEM Ambassador session.
- Topics can be anything from Space - Nature - Engineering and the World around us.
- The session / workshop can be from 1 hour to half day as suits your sessionMarshfied Girl Guide session – any Monday 7.30 – 8.30pm
Marshfield Village Hall
3 Wellfield Road
Guide Leader Shona is seeking STEM Ambassador visits for the Autumn term
- They are keen to have a sessions related to genetics
- An interactive or practical element is welcomed
- 22 guides attend each week ages 11 – 14
STEM related session topics: Flexible dates Spring
Coed Eva Junior & Infant School
Teacher Chloe Burdett is seeking STEM Ambassadors to bring elements of STEM to the following topics. Dates can be agreed with STEM Ambassador.
- Yr2 Roald Dahl - maybe a science link with ‘marvellous medicine’ or Roald Dahl topic
- Yr3 - Curious Celts and Rotten Romans (eg Structures / Roman Engineering)
- Yr5 - comparing people and places (eg Habitats, Exploration)
- Yr6 - WW2 : betchley park and coding or topic of choice
STEM support sessions: Heart Yr 6 ; Formula 1 Jaguar Schools Yr 3
- STEM Coordinator Kirsten Shuker is seeking Ambassador support for these topics
- Year 6: Heart and functions
- Year 3: F1 Cars Jaguar Schools project
- Dates and number of sessions are flexible
STEM sessions at Special Needs School (dates of your choice)
Ysgol Bryn Derw
- Teacher Debbie Jenkins is eager to offer their pupils experience in STEM
- The school educates special needs (autistic) pupils in Newport County and surrounding areas
- Pupils respond really well to practical interaction, sensory experience and a person centred approach
- Classes are very small (maximum 8 pupils) with excellent teacher support
- Ideas suggested include
For behavioural needs
- Anything explosive to do with science
- Funny science experiments
- Food technology (making cakes and lunches).
For a sensory class of non-verbal children:
- habitats/hibernation (hedgehogs etc.),
- star gazing,
- sensory science (things that change colour, go bang, etc.),
- simple robotics-beebots,
- switch activated toys
Brecon Primary science sessions. Dates flexible.
- Teacher Meg is eager to host STEM Ambassadors for STEM topics in Spring Term
Conwy Code Clubs support
Conwy County Borough Council
- Community Development officer Tom Jones is organising Code Clubs across the County Primary Schools.
- Teachers will be given initial training in November.
- Tom would be grateful for STEM Ambassador support for these Clubs